
One of the biggest misconceptions about artificial intelligence is that you need a technical background to learn it.
For a long time, I thought AI was mainly for:
- software developers
- data scientists
- researchers
- technology companies
But the more I explore the subject, the more I realise that’s no longer true.
Recently, I came across an infographic from the UK’s National AI Strategy that asked a simple question:
“Where can I learn more about AI?”
What interested me wasn’t the list of resources.
It was the fact that the infographic recognised something important.
People approach AI from very different starting points.
Some people already have degrees.
Some want to change careers.
Some are parents trying to understand the technology their children will grow up with.
Others are simply curious.
And honestly, I suspect most people fall into that last category.
They’re not trying to build the next AI model.
They’re trying to understand a technology that is increasingly becoming part of everyday life.
That matters because AI is no longer confined to research labs.
It’s showing up in:
- search engines
- smartphones
- customer service systems
- photo editing apps
- productivity tools
- social media platforms
In many cases, people are already using AI before they realise they’re using it.
So perhaps the question isn’t whether everyone should become an AI expert.
Perhaps the better question is:
Should everyone have a basic understanding of how AI works?
Personally, I think the answer is yes.
Not because everyone needs to learn programming.
But because understanding the strengths and limitations of AI is becoming a form of digital literacy.
A generation ago, learning how to use a computer became valuable.
Then learning how to use the internet became valuable.
Today, we’re beginning to see the same pattern with AI.
What’s encouraging is that there are now more ways to learn than ever before.
Free courses.
Videos.
Blogs.
Online communities.
Practical tools that allow people to experiment for themselves.
You don’t need to learn everything at once.
In fact, most people probably learn best by starting small.
Ask questions.
Try tools.
Explore ideas.
Stay curious.
That’s how many people begin.
And perhaps that’s the most important point.
Learning AI isn’t necessarily about becoming a specialist.
For many people, it’s simply about understanding a technology that is increasingly shaping the world around them.
Curious — what was the first thing that made you interested in learning about AI?
No comments:
Post a Comment